Toyota Recognized for Diversity
May 13, 2019—DiversityInc named Toyota Motor North America (TMNA) one of its Top 50 Companies for Diversity, ranking 18th on the 2019 survey, up from number 25 last year, reported Yahoo Finance.
The company was also recognized for diverse leadership and its commitment to hiring women of color, LGBT and veteran team members.
Here are some of the reasons why Toyota is rated a top company for diversity, according to the report:
- It's part of the cultural fabric – Respect for people and continuous improvement are the two pillars that make up the foundation of the company and have since its inception more than 100 years ago.
- Commitment to team member development and D+I education – Dynamic in-house programs develop team members to their fullest capabilities, while educating them to foster a culture of inclusion.
- Learning from others to incorporate best practices – An external Diversity Advisory Board made up of diverse leaders was created to share knowledge and build accountability processes for insight, guidance and diversity of thought.
- Diverse executive leadership – Consecutive year-over-year growth in diverse Black, Latino and Asian leaders.
- LGBTQ+ inclusive culture – Toyota has received 12 consecutive perfect scores on Human Rights Corporate Equality Index.
- Values the importance of a diverse workforce – Continued focus on diversity as part of the recruitment process, to ensure diverse candidate pools are being reached.
- Robust veterans program – Recruit and support veterans by helping them translate their military skills to civilian work.
- Job creation through supplier diversity – 40,000 jobs created across the U.S. through Toyota's Opportunity Exchange, helping build strong relationships among minority- and women-owned suppliers.
- Supporting an inclusive culture while strengthening the business – Over 85 team member-led Employee Resource Groups across North America, (known as Business Partnering Groups) connect, learn, and advance business through inclusion, engagement, and marketplace connection.